Does your name determine your faith?

Kocen - Santo domingo, Dominican Republic
Themes: race

Many of you may think that your name is just your name just as I did, but the truth is with the extreme prejudice we find in the present world, the first impression such as you name, can really affect you in many different levels. Prejudice is a premature thought of someone or something based on the first impression you get. For example, if a fruit is unpleasant on the outside but is nice and nutritive on the inside, 7 out of 10 people would reject it. The same exact idea is what happens with a person’s name. I believe that this prejudice done by a vast majority of people depending on the name is absurd and they should reconsider what to think when they know someone new.

My given name is David Fernando but then my parents changed my name. Ever since I was two, my name has been Kocsen. Many people have made fun of my name but I can take it as a joke and not seriously because it doesn’t need to bother me. On the other hand, imagine a new kid that goes to an American School in the U.S. whose name is Saddam Tolcher. Saddam is a 14-year-old young adult middle-eastern that just moved to the United States due to his father’s work. He is nice, kind, thoughtful and smart. He attends school but since the day he stepped into that school in the USA, he didn’t realize that the biggest scar of his emotional life was about to start. He was slowly introduced into the school and already people were feeling offended by him. Saddam Hussein is the name of a great terrorist leader that has created a hate amongst many Americans. Because Saddam (terrorist) has the same name as the young adult, Saddam, he is prejudiced to be just like Hussein. I believe that that is simply absurd. Ethnic difference is a major contribution factor in these acts of prejudice.

The same can be said with Latin Americans visiting first world countries such as the United States and Canada. Citizens of these countries tend to have a very negative perspective and are liable to degrade Latinos with off-putting comparisons to citizens from countries such as México, Peru or Colombia. If you’re a Latin American tourist entering the United States, chances of you being questioned more than a British citizen are very likely. If you’re name is Pedro García and you are carrying a Mexican passport, border patrol officials will begin asking you questions related to the reason why you are visiting their country. They have a premature idea that you are visiting their country to do something hurtful.

It is maybe impossible to stop this outraging act, hence its nature for some people to prejudice, but its up to you to make a difference in this ever changing universe, and This I Believe.