Your Heart Will Always Have the Answers

Hannah - Gig Harbor, Washington

Life is a long journey dependent solely on choices. These choices are of the utmost importance because they will determine who I am and where I will end up. I believe that the recipe to happiness in life is to follow your heart. Some may disagree saying this is a naïve way to go about life’s everyday challenges but it makes perfect sense to me. In my own personal experiences, I have both followed my heart and my head. These are very different concepts. I have seen the end of the spectrum in each situation; either doing what my parents think is best or what the person themselves thinks is best. This will hopefully help me when it is my own time to mold the person that I will become.

I am the youngest of three. I have an older brother and an older sister. These two people are pretty much polar opposites. And they are equally as different from me. I’ve watched the two of them grow up and become young adults. I have watched them fall and get back up, make mistakes, and begin to mold their lives into what they feel is ideal. However, the difference between the two is in their head and their heart.

My brother has done almost everything right from day one, or so it seems. He has always had good grades and now attends the University of Washington, is vice president of his fraternity, and never fails to please my parents. I know that he is happy with his life at this point, but I have never had the chance to talk to him and find out if there are things he would have done differently had my parents not been so strict.

Then there is my sister, and things couldn’t be any more drastically different. It is like night and day with those two. She has made what seems like a million mistake in her life and those mistakes have completely changed the dynamics of my family. No one seems to get along like they used to. She has done everything from lying to my parents about being with her boyfriend at a party, to dropping out of WSU, to moving in with her boyfriend without my parents’ permission. She never grasped the idea of “playing the game to please the parents”, which would consist of doing things their way regardless of what she wants out of life. At least until she graduated from college. My sister’s relationship with my parents will continue to suffer for the rest of their lives, mostly because they are all too stubborn to fix anything. However, I find her to be genuinely happy. Had she done what my parents expected of her, like breaking up with the boyfriend they didn’t approve of, or staying at WSU despite being miserable or living at home instead of with her boyfriend, she would be terribly unhappy at this point. But she didn’t do those things, and I know for a fact that she’s never been happier.

I believe that life is about making decisions that are right for you and not for anyone else. I have learned so much from witnessing my brother and sister grow up and seeing them makes decisions has changed who I am as a person. My time will come to decide what is best for me and I plan to do what makes me most happy. I think that doing what makes me happiest is going to give me the most out of my life. I’m smart enough to know right from wrong and I don’t think I need my hand to be held for much longer in order to make the right decisions. We are only given one life so always take a step back and think about what makes you happy and never stop until you get there.