Cherish the Small Things

Lauren - Olathe, Kansas

A couple of years ago I heard a quote that has impacted my life ever since. I couldn’t tell you who said it or where I heard it but the words have stuck with me, “It’s not how many breaths you take in life, but the moments that take your breath away.” For me the moments that take my breath away aren’t huge life changing ones, they are the small things that are memorable. I believe that people should cherish the small things in life.

When I was a little kid my grandma made mashed potatoes, and the second I tried them I fell in love with them. Ever since that day every time I see her I always ask her to make me mashed potatoes and she normally does. That was over ten years ago but just recently my friend came over one night to hang out. My dad was talking to him about how much I love mashed potatoes. The next day I went to visit my friend at work, which is a restaurant. One thing you need to know about my friend is that he loves to cook, and he is a chef at this restaurant. While I was eating my lunch he came out with a bowl and in that bowl were some mashed potatoes he made. Now this moment was not life changing but it meant so much to me because it showed that he cares and paid attention when my dad told him about my love for mashed potatoes.

I work at a childcare center, while I love my job there are just some days when I am not in the mood to deal with little screaming and whining children. A little while back I was having one of those days. I had a tough day at school, I had a lot of homework, and a horrible headache. That’s pretty much the tri-fecta for a bad day. I got to work and right away was in a bad mood because the second I got there this kid starting complaining about how he couldn’t do this or that. Honestly, I could not have cared less, but it was my job to help him out and I did. A couple hours of work had gone by and I was plenty ready to go home, but then my favorite family of kids showed up and it made everything ok. This family has one boy and three girls. They are the sweetest kids you will ever meet in your life. The moment that they see you they come up and give you huge hugs. That day when they got there the first thing that one of the girls did when she walked in the door was come up to me and give me a giant hug. It made me feel so much better because she didn’t know what was going on in my life, and she didn’t care but this girl at the age of four could tell that I was having a bad day and I needed a hug.

The things that matter in your life don’t have to be huge, they don’t have to change your life, they just have to make you feel good even if it’s just for a moment. The things in my life that matter the most to me aren’t huge and life changing: they are simple everyday things that put a smile on my face even if it’s just for a moment. That is why I believe that all people should cherish the small things in life because most of the time those are the ones that matter the most.