Green Polka Dotted Elephants

Ashley - Olathe, Kansas

No one knows what its like to be the bad man, to be the sad man, behind blue eyes. Roger Daltrey hit it right on the nose. We have all felt feelings of remorse, gloom, and sadness when someone judges you entirely on your ‘cover’. Unfortunately, we have all also judged others. Even loved ones. I of coarse never thought anyone could be kind enough to never feel nor give those judgments.

Long before sponge bob, doodle bops, and high school musical, children enjoyed coloring, As unbelievable as it sounds that a child could in fact enjoy something that does not involve technology, the occasional crayola crayon box would be opened up, not only to reveal a rainbow of color possibilities, but it also opened up the imagination.

As I would sit in Mrs. Potts pre-school classroom, drawing what should indeed be a cat, but looks more like a grey and black blob, my very best friend Sharon would sit next to me. Rather than the usual tree, flower, or family portrait, Sharon would color Green Polka Dotted Elephants. Every day, every time, the same thing. Some would physco-analyze this, and call it a childish phase, some would see it as cute, some would see it as an opportunity to spend $500 on a shrink. Sharon looked at it as a master piece. A little part of herself. She saw it as beauty, life, and opportunity.

You see, Sharon didn’t judge the elephant from what it had on the outside. She saw the inside beauty of her creation, the thought and opinion behind it. Today, wherever Sharon may be, she would probably look back on her creation and laugh, as would any other young adult. But I can never forget how much she adored those drawings.

Not only did Sharon’s drawings get a primo spot on the refrigerator, it also taught me a life-long lesson to share with my friends and family.

Roger Daltrey did indeed have it right. Nobody can compare to each other’s sadness, and remorse, for it all impacts us in different ways. However behind the eyes of a child, there is only a thirst for learning and creation, a thirst that can only be quenched by any one available to be a mentor. A child will judge individually on character, not appearance. That is why I believe adults should spend a little more time drawing Green Polka Dotted Elephants.