Humble Acceptance of Advice

Esteban - Dominican Republic
Themes: humility

Is anyone’s birthday really the day they think it is? There is no way of truly knowing, yet we still believe this piece of information, act on it, and celebrate it every year. We don’t question this because we find that our parents would not have any interest in lying to us about our birthday. If we can be convinced of something as baseless as our birthdays, then shouldn’t we be able to accept and understand advice which can be reasoned to be true? We refuse to take advice from people that we know would wish best for us; this includes statements as simple as – “eat your vegetables so you can be healthy” – to – “work hard so you succeed in life”. What is most disappointing is that we know that such statements have much reason behind them but we fail to pay attention to the benefits that can result from following good advice. In order to take advantage of advice from people that we know wish best for us, however, one must first be humble enough to consider the idea objectively.

I believe in the humble acceptance of advice. By actually considering what people say and trying to understand their point of view, we will learn much more in life. This allows us to learn from the mistakes and experiences of others without having to suffer the consequences of thoughtlessness. Through humility we can be much more successful in life.

The key obstruction to us being more successful in life is the pride that is characteristic to all humans. Even toddlers resent being given advice when learning to play sports for example. This trait only gets worse as we grow up, it simply looks better because we hide it. For the most part, when someone gives us advice, we listen to them, but don’t even consider the point that they are trying to make. During the entire time that the other person is talking, we are persistently scavenging for ways to convince ourselves that they are wrong. If we could simply get rid of the innate pride that prevents us from further improving our lives, we would all be much better off.

Luke 14:12 All who make themselves great will be made humble, but those who make themselves humble will be made great.