i believe in determination

leonor - Dominican Republic

Have you ever wanted something so badly that you wouldn’t give up till you had it? Well, I believe each human being has the willpower to achieve their goals, dreams, tasks, obstacles or challenges if they awaken their determination. With effort and hard work everyone has the possibility to succeed. Like Winston Churchill once stated, “Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.” I have experienced a time in my life that with the use of determination I reached my goal.

One moment in my life where I found nonstop determination was when I was in Middle School. In seventh grade, students with a certain grade average were invited to join the club National Junior Honor Society. Fortunately, I was sent an invitation to join. To be accepted in this group, I had to fill in a form with all of my extra curricular activities, leadership positions and I had to write an essay. After one month of tension, the acceptance letters were sent. As my friends opened their envelopes, I was eager to find out if I had been accepted. All of my hope was crumbled as I read the first sentence, saying that I didn’t have what it took to be part of this group. Around me, I heard people giving shouts of joy and suprisement as well as hugging others who had been accepted as well.

This letter might have hurt me emotionally at the moment, but it didn’t stop me from studying hard the following year. The next school year, I received the same letter telling me that I had the grade average to once more be able to apply to NJHS. Instead of not filling it in, to not take more regret, I filled it in, not missing a single detail. The next month, the acceptance letters were given back to all the applicants. Not really expecting anything, I opened the letter and smiled as I read the first sentence “We are proud to announce that we read your application and you have been accepted to NJHS.” Even though I didn’t scream in joy, I was filled with excitement to finally have been accepted.

From this moment on, determination will always remain within me. Now, I don’t mind not getting something right the first time, but I take each step in life as a challenge, not underestimating anything.

I believe in determination. I believe in the strength of will within a human being to accomplish amazing things.