I BELIEVE A TEACHER NEEDS TO KNOW HER STUDENTS

Angela - 42104, Kentucky

I believe it is important for a teacher to know her students. Not just recognizing their name and face; be attuned to them. A teacher should have a good sense as to what her students are thinking or feeling, and whether or not they understand what she is teaching. A teacher needs to be able to relate to her students and make them feel secure about themselves and their relationships with others. A teacher needs to be supportive to her students and accept them for who they are, be positive and assist them in reaching their goals. I believe the more supportive teachers are, the more the students will enjoy learning.

I believe all students need to feel like they are important. We cannot let students go through their school years without letting them know that they are an important part of our society. Teachers need to reassure the students that they can make a difference, and give them the sense of security that they are important. I believe all students are important.

I believe a child should be able to feel successful regardless of their ability. Why should we require that all students be proficient by the year 2014? We need to set realistic short-term goals for our children, and let them see their success. Then gradually work them up to long-term goals. I believe all students can be successful.

I believe in rewarding students for trying their best and giving it their all. In order for a teacher to know when the child is doing this, she needs to know the student. I believe today’s teachers have so much expected of them that they lose sight of how important it is to take the time to get to know their students. A teacher needs the time to give individual attention to each student. Let’s give our teachers the time that it takes to get to know their students. We need to take this into consideration when we are talking about education reforms in today’s society. I believe a teacher needs to know her students.