Can I Experience Love?

shelby - oakland, California
Themes: love

At first I thought love was an emotion only parents and grown-ups could feel. Like the actions you see in dramatic movies or love movies. So can young people love? Or was my grandma right when she said “Boy you don’t know anything about love”? I think she was wrong and that love should not be based on age, or race, but on someone’s feelings for another person.

I am a bright young 15 year old man. I was brought up in a good home, and I listen to everything my elders say. Currently I am in a relationship that makes me question my parents and elders theory that young people can not or do not know about love. I say love is an emotion which everybody has. So they say I can be happy, but can not be in or fall in love because of my age. So what if love makes me happy then what am I supposed to do? So for a while I believed my elders until I fell in love about a year ago. My elders say love is someone you can talk to that makes you happy. A fusion of all the emotions, that at first you can not name, or describe. Well how could I experience this with a young lady, if young people could not love? This young lady made me feel all of this, but because I was young I could not call this love. This experience changed my whole perspective of my elders theory. Trying to change my parent’s point of view is hard. Since all my friends prove them right by saying they are in love, and only have relationships that last two or three weeks.

I am going to prove my elders wrong. People should be able to love anybody they want. Age, religion, race, or background should not determine if two people should be able to love one another. I believe love is an emotion that everyone should be able to experience with whomever they choose. Just like people can be happy, sad, excited and mad, they can love. No matter the obstacles they face like the ones I face with my parents saying I am too young, or between races, or backgrounds.