My Core Belief of God and Family

Dionne - Austell, Georgia

My core belief is keeping God first and family second; everything else can fall as it may. I believe by reading God’s word, I will know Him better and better, and I will trust Him more and more. He will guide my life and my purpose will be fulfilled.

The same rule applies to my most precious earthly gift, my family. The more we communicate and talk things over and the more we show genuine concern for each other’s well being, the more I appreciate them and love them and seek them. One of the nicest greetings is a phone call that loves, “I know that you are busy, but I just wanted to hear your voice today. I love you.” It makes difficult days easy and frustrated days calm.

I had not always appreciated my relationship to my God and my family, but a couple of years ago that oversight changed forever. In 2006, I was hospitalized for 30 days. My mom was constantly at my bedside.

Upon discharge, I recuperated at home. My consolation was reading God’s word and communing with my family. I required physical therapy for six weeks and skilled nursing care for ten weeks. Between my therapy and nurse visits, I would read, laugh, and think. When my hands became tired, my mom would read to me, my personal audio book, in the most comforting voice I’ll ever know.

She was my personal story teller as well; she often reminded me and entertained me with stories of my childhood, stories that occurred when I was too young to remember. She told me how when I was three, I saved our lives by coughing and waking her out of a deep sleep. The house was on fire and literally everything burned to the ground. My family lost every material thing, but our family chain remained unbroken.

She told me of a family vacation in Pensacola, Florida when I was 18 months old were my father and I were swept away by the tides and how a first cousin swam out to save us; it was the same first cousin who stopped by the hospital every day after work.

There were so many stories of aunts and siblings and everything. The stories intrigued me, inspired me, consoled me, and restored my quality of life as well as my faith in God.

At that time my favorite scriptures played continuously in my head: Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy path [because] all things work for the good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose [and] I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

These verses summarize my core beliefs and dictate how I approach life, love and adversity. Maintaining a prioritized relationship with God and family is what I believe.