Always Be Truthful

Matthew - Scottsdale, Arizona
Themes: morality

I’ve experienced firsthand how it feels to be lied to. It was very hurtful, and although I forgave the person, I’ve never forgotten how it felt. I’ve been raised to know the difference between right and wrong. I strive to be the best person I can be. I believe in being honest.

When I was in the fifth grade I was falsely accused of stealing someone’s lunch money. I told the principal I didn’t do it, but wasn’t sure that he believed me. Then something surprising that I hadn’t expected to happen happened. Jack, a school bully, came into the principal’s office and admitted to the theft. Later, I asked Jack why he confessed knowing that he would get into trouble. He simply said, “I may not be nice, but I read the Bible and I couldn’t let them blame you for something you didn’t do.” Even now while writing this I choke up. I had never seen as much faith and courage from someone, let alone a school bully. From that point on we became friends, and still are to this day.

If everyone told the truth all the time, we would be able to trust each other more. We would be rewarded with inner peace, good karma, and maybe even a new friend. I’ll admit, I’m not always truthful, but I try really hard not to lie. My parents have taught me how important it is to always tell the truth, regardless of what may happen. Honesty shapes our character, shows our faith, and telling the truth is morally right. Being honest isn’t always easy, but telling the truth is always the right thing to do.