Working Hard to Achieve Goals

Eric - Plainsboro, New Jersey
Themes: work

Being an eighth grader is a challenge.

It is more of a time in life where adolescents like me are questing and exploring more about the society around us, our twenty-first century, our planet Earth.

It is more of a time when middle school students are pulling away from our childhood and building higher goals to help make our future lives easier and comfortable. Being an eighth grader is a challeging time for some students — whether it is about grades, relationships or other arbitrary issues that we deal with everyday life because we’re just not prepared to face the problems in the real world. In the real world, food and water don’t fall out of the sky, money won’t grow on trees, dealing with a loss is normal. The moment we leave our house, our last stronghold, we will face the reality of humanity and suffering, whether we would want to or not.

I have learned the true meaning of moving on — even if I’d have to give up some of my precious time, I realize that I need to work harder than ever in order to become a recognizable heir of my family, a proud leader that stands above the average. I believe that working hard will make you achieve your goals.

Some of my peers recently asked me,”Who is your role model? Who would you look up to?”

My idol and my absolute role model is Yo Yo Ma, probably the upmost cellist of the twenty-first century. He is a great man, a man who worked hard to play the cello when he was five, who shared his happiness and feelings in music to the whole world to spread peace and forgiveness. I find that Yo Yo Ma is a person who is truly accomplished — a cellist who plays beautifully and gives us a sense of salvation in the songs he plays. Why would I choose him? He works hard, that’s why. Look where hard work got him!

I remember when I started to play the cello back in fourth grade. I experienced my first days of complete hell. My arms were sore from holding it in a specific position with a funny-shaped wooden box held stiff between my legs. I occassionally shook off some of the perspiration from my head and took a tiny break, just to relax my arms from the sore pain. The tips of my fingers on my left hand were rock-solid because I had formed tough calluses due to pressing strings down, constantly.

I’d never forget those days where I kept on practicing a song over and over again until I got it perfect. Sometimes, I’d spend four hours of my day to play the cello, just to try to catch up with my other fellow cellists, who were much more experienced than I was. If it weren’t for my parents who pushed me to keep on practicing. Nowadays, I am proud of the way I play the cello and I feel like I’ll improve even more. I have made it into New Jersey Regionals Orchestra, as well as New Jersey All-State Orchestra because I’ve worked hard and my goal was clear.

Hard work will reward you, do not deny it. It all dates back to the story of three pigs who built their houses made of straw, sticks, and bricks. Even in hard times, when things seem like it’s impossible to break though, we need to clench our teeth and carry on.