Colleen - Cumming, Georgia

I believe self-esteem is important. It is what fuels us to be successful, to be capable, and to live, love, and laugh. I believe without self-esteem we cannot find love for ourselves or others. I believe that self-esteem is a corner stone of life. And I believe there is not enough of it out there.

I believe self-esteem comes from having my limits pushed and overcoming what I thought was my limit. I remember practicing outside in the sun during hot August band practices. We thought we’d never be able to last an hour let alone an entire school day! Or our first marching game a hot, humid August night in wool uniforms, knowing we could not remove the uniforms until the game ended seemed beyond our limits. Yet at the end of the game there was an undeniable sense of satisfaction and self as we proudly stripped off the uniforms and stood cooling in our shorts and t-shirts. We had done it, and we could do it again. Our limits were tested, our endurance pushed, and we rose to the challenge.

I believe that having a challenge to overcome gives you self-esteem. It may seem nearly impossible at first, but taking the small steps leads to taking the big steps, and eventually it leads to accomplishment and success. Being able to chart my course and arrive at the end of an obstacle shows me how to manage my life. Knowing I can manage my life teaches me to believe in myself. Someone else could hover over me, tackling the task, making sure I reach every step and make it through the challenge. But how would I know if I was capable? What happens if I go to elementary school, attend college, move to another city, or go somewhere without the more competent, capable person? I am paralyzed, frozen, and experience anger and disgust at myself, which I am likely to use to attack others. But when I reach the top knowing I am successful, it builds confidence. It helps me to see I can take on other tasks. It shows me to believe in myself and feel proud. And…dare I say it? It brings me self-esteem.