I believe no child should ever have to live in fear.

Ceirsti - Springdale, Arkansas
Themes: setbacks

What is with abusive parents and not letting go? My father, David,

was and still is abusive. David mentally and physically abused my siblings

and me. I lived in fear for so many years. I believe no child should ever

have to live in fear.

Almost everyday when I would get home from school, I would look and see if David’s car was in the driveway. When he wasn’t I was happy, when he was I was scared. On July 21, 2008 my mom decided she was going to get a divorce from David. Then four days later on July 25, 2008 at 9:00am, my mom and I walked through the Court House doors. I saw the old wood stairs, wooden desks, and doors leading somewhere I didn’t want to know. We went there to get a protective order against David. It stated we needed to gather all children and leave the household.

We stayed at La Quinta for three days. The room was small but fit all of us. Together it was my mom, my 4 sisters, my brother and me. In the room we had two beds with floral covers, orange curtains, a television, a bathroom, a desk and plenty of chairs. La Quinta had a pool, and that was our entertainment. It was big and warm. We swam a lot, hoping David wouldn’t find us. What we didn’t know was that he would.

The second day at La Quinta, we were swimming having fun thinking nothing could go wrong. Instead my life went on dive I couldn’t handle. David had found us. I was terrified. The only thing going through my head was grab Cora. I ran upstairs with her crying and holding my neck. I could hear my mom in the background trying to get my sisters upstairs. When we got to the room, I put dry clothes and dressed my sisters. I looked out the window and their he was. His fierce blue eyes looked more terrifying than before. I heard him yelling at the manager, Beth. All I wanted to do at this point was disappear.

David left the hotel, but the fear in my heart still lingers. I live in fear everyday that he will kidnap me. He knows that he no longer has a place in my heart. He knows that what he has done has left me scared for the life of my family and me. The love in my heart I had for him is replaced by fear and anger.