I Believe I’m Never Alone

Hannah - Newport, North Carolina

I’ve been going to church since I was one week old. I started learning the basics of Christianity and the realism of Jesus Christ from a young age. As a child, I loved hearing Bible stories and singing songs about Jesus. The world seemed so perfect during my years of innocence. It wasn’t until I grew older that I realized I needed God, who was there all along.

God designed us to know that He is God who created us. He made us with a hunger and thirst for Him. Scripture supports that: “Be still and know that I am God”, Psalms 46:10. Some of us discover this truth early in life, others come to this realization through life’s’ events, and some never come to this truth. However, even if you don’t believe in God, it doesn’t mean He doesn’t exist. Your beliefs don’t determine Truth; Truth should determine your beliefs. I believe Truth is Jesus. “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life”, John 14:6.

Even though I’m only fifteen years old, I’ve endured many trials. I’ve also experienced many joys. Whether in difficulty, or celebrating the happiest moments of my life, I have always known that God is with me. I believe God has a purpose for my life. Everything happens in my life for a reason. I also know and believe that God won’t ever let go of me, no matter how far I may stray from Him at times.

One of the most tragic events of my life happened when I was in the third grade. September 12, 2001, the day after 9/11, my dad was shot by my cousin’s ex-boyfriend in a domestic violence situation. As a young nine year old, I didn’t understand how anyone could shoot my dad. He is so loving and non-threatening. Why would anyone want to hurt him? After my initial shock and horror began to lift, I started to feel relieved, as if someone was carrying me. I knew that God loved me and my dad beyond measure, and He would see us through whatever came our way. God walked with me hand-in-hand through this very tough time.

I ran track in 7th and 8th grade and both years my team won the conference championship. Track was such a high, even though it was hard work. Before every race, I would pray and ask God to give me the strength, confidence, and courage to run the race as best as I could. Although I didn’t always place first, God still celebrated with me after each race. After the conference meet each year, I was so overjoyed, I cried. I know and believe that God was with me and my team throughout each practice and meet, celebrating the joy of running with us.

It’s so comforting to know that when I’m lonely and scared, The God of the universe is watching out for me. God is clearly present. I’m never alone.