Tyler - Cape Carteret, North Carolina

Dusk had begun, the piercing rays of the sun hid beneath the horizon, sporadically revealing themselves for a moment just to dive down again. A small boy, innocent and satisfied, stared into the increasing darkness of the sky, deep in thought, gradually forming his future aspirations. He closed his eyes. A dream of change sprouted. He desired a better place, one with independence, a place that allowed others to mature their own dreams. He then opened his eyes and the darkness shrouded them, the sun had gone to rest and the boy noticed the sky, a canvas of erratically placed stars, the artwork of a creative mind. He closed his eyes again, and visualized his inspiring world, an empowering setting shaped by his own ambition. He fell asleep on that thought never to dream or awake again. This story is derived from the Lawrence Massacre of 1863 and although the young boy’s life came to an abrupt halt, his dreams did not. They went on to influence my own dreams and my perception of a dream. I believe that dreams outlast their origin of creation and should be achieved through persistence and should be based on selflessness.

I adopted one of my earliest dreams at a very young age. When I was five years old, my parents registered me for t-ball and after that, I considered baseball to be very important in my life. It was two years later when I first saw someone hit a homerun. From that point, I established my very first goal to mimic that action. This past summer I reached that goal. Through years of hard work, practice, and persistence I finally accomplished my initial dream to hit a homerun.

In succession of my first accomplished goal, I also have many other goals. In Saving Private Ryan, a recent war movie, a band of friends in the military are sent on a mission to save a young man behind enemy lines. Upon viewing the film, I was inspired. In order to show my appreciation of a loved one, I developed the selfless goal to also risk my life for someone I love. Throughout my entire existence I have yearned to be seen as a trustworthy and respecting person. I feel that once I complete this goal I will be perceived as an unselfish individual.

I believe that accomplished dreams will go on to influence the people that discover them. It is from my own personal experiences that I draw the conclusion that goals in life are completed through perseverance and that aspiration’s outcomes should express unselfishness. I feel that no person, such as in the story of the young boy, should ever be prohibited from having dreams that better themselves and the ones around them.