Unconditional Love

Margaret - Newport, North Carolina
Themes: love

Unconditional Love

“Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails;” 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. This scripture means that true love is unconditional. However, some people believe that love is just a feeling but I strongly believe that love is a constant work that requires patience and forgiveness.

The novel, The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks, is a story of two people who fall in love and how over the years their love never fails no matter what problems they encounter. Their love exemplifies patience because of the many years they waited to be together. The protagonist, Noah Calhoun, wrote to his young love, Allie Nelson, everyday for a year when her and her family moved from Seabrook. Even after 365 letters that went unanswered, Noah never gave up on the thought of reuniting with Allie because his love for her was so great that he wasn’t happy without her being part of his life. A few years later, Allie returned to Seabrook to visit Noah, although, she was engaged at that time. Noah’s patient love was rekindled when waiting for Allie’s decision to continue with the engagement or to be with him. Allie and Noah’s never failing love overcame all obstacles and they decide to face life’s challenges together.

Jesus Christ is the embodiment of unconditional love. He shows his unfailing love through his forgiveness of mankind. One example of his forgiving love was on the day of his crucifixion. When Jesus was on the cross, there were two other men that were being crucified at the same time. While one laughed and mocked Jesus, saying that if he truly was the messiah he would get himself down off the cross; the other man asked for his forgiveness knowing that Jesus was being convicted wrongly. Jesus replied to the remorseful sinner telling him that he would spend eternal life with him in paradise. Although this man had sinned, because of his realization of the harm he had caused, Jesus gladly forgave him. Jesus still died for all mankind’s sin because no matter what one may do, Jesus still loves everyone.

In the end unconditional love means no matter what happens, the love one has for another remains true. It is a gift of forgiveness and acceptance for one another’s short comings and the patience to persevere. It is a steadfastness one clings to in times of trouble and the happiness in one’s heart during times of joy.