Everyone has a specific calling for his or her life.

Jessica - Ventura, California
Themes: purpose

I believe everyone has a specific calling for his or her life. If some how you are not in line with your specific calling, then I believe God will some how push you out of what you are in and place you right where he wants you to be.

There was a time when I was drawn to the glitz and glamour of the lucrative life of a loan originator at a bank. (At this time the real estate market was just beginning to soar.) I was a full time student at Ventura Community College (V.C.) and a part time teller at another bank. Therefore, I decided to put my education on hold and pursue a career in mortgage loans.

Then one day I was able to participate in a volunteer program through the bank, called the “Penny Program.” The Penny program allowed bank employees go to local elementary schools and explain money, saving accounts, adding and subtracting from one’s register. That was the beginning of the end, for me. The moment I entered the classroom and saw the children’s smiling faces, I knew I was in the wrong profession. Although a two year time had passed, I was not too worried because I figured, “better late than never.”

However, before I could begin my plan to return to college and pursue my education, I was hit with devastating news, my Dad was diagnosed with a degenerative nerve disease and my parents needed assistance immediately. Then I voluntarily took three months off for Family Medical Leave.

After the three months, I returned to the bank. It was just not the same. The work environment was a close second to Heck (but the other word). I did not have the same drive for the almighty dollar…rather a longing for something more. If there was one thing, I realized from my Dad’s sickness, it was the understanding of how fragile and precious one’s life really can be. I realized I did not want a career that filled my pockets, but rather a career that filled my soul.

Then I began my search for a part time position and sure enough found a fabulous position at a bank. I could not have asked for a better group of people to work with or a company to work for! Then shortly after everything began to fall into place. I received a twenty thousand dollar scholarship (5k each year) to pursue my calling as an elementary school teacher. I enrolled at C.S.U.C.I in the Liberal Studies program and have not looked back since! It was as if God said, “You are lined up with my plan for you…so I got it from here…just don’t quit.”