I believe its time to change

Jennifer - Cape Cartert, North Carolina

I believe that there is still tons of racism in the world today. I believe that America is never going to be able to move forward and be a great nation because we are so unwilling to look past the color of people’s skin and where there came from. We are unwilling to get over the fact that there are people in America that don’t have the same values and customs as us. There are so many people out there who could make us better, who could pull us out of the economical situation that America is in. People who could teach us a little something new and change the way we look at things. I believe that it is time for Americans to stop acting like we are the only people on the planet who know something. I think it is time we were more open and accepting of other people. People say Barrack Obama is a Muslim so what if he was a Muslim. Even though he’s not but what if he was. Americans got in such an uproar over him being a Muslim and do you know what that’s telling the little Muslim boy in kindergarten? Its saying on career day when the teacher asks you what you want to be don’t say president because that’s never going to happen and I believe that that’s just plain sad. It’s sad that only people of a certain race, religion and class can have the opportunity to try their hand at running our great nation. The rest of the people can only dream. If Americans only wanted certain people in their country then they shouldn’t have open it up for the whole world to come. But since they did that means that we have to be more accepting of people. America is way to diverse for people to pick and choose who does what. I believe that it is time for a change. It’s time for Americans to start being open and more accepting. It’s time for us to stand by the words written on the Statue of Liberty “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door” It’s time we accept those who come here who are not like us but who want what we want. A better life. And I believe that this one day will happen.