My Inevitable Change

Jessica - Emerald Isle, North Carolina
Themes: change

One thing that never changes: change is inevitable. The only question is, is this change positive or negative? I believe that people have the power to determine the mood of a change. A change that is insurmountable to one person is the catalyst that can cause another to change the world. It all just depends on whether you have the strive or the determination to use this change to your advantage. There are various challenges and changes that can affect a person’s life, and what one person may call drastic, another may refer to as a simple inconvenience.

Ever since I can remember, my life has never been fully settled. I have never been able to really call any place that I have lived my long-term niche. That secure feeling of assuredness- like predicting myself in the same place with the same life in the future-has never been something I have experienced. I have moved about fourteen times in my fifteen years. I have been to seven schools, lived in four states, ten cities, and Lord knows how many homes. Yet, throughout all of the doubt and uprooting, I have actually kind of enjoyed the changes. I mean, sure, they were inconvenient disruptions in my life at the time, but the memories of cardboard boxes has always brought a smile to my face. Because of these changes, I am a socially and emotionally strong person. They have made my family’s bond tight and my taste in kitchen décor quite versatile. They have allowed me to make amazing friends all over the country and they have each given me the chance to start fresh and make a new name for myself. In all of my contentment, I know that I am truly lucky that I feel at ease with change. In talking to other teenagers who have moved to different states or cities, I have seen the negative attitudes towards leaving your past behind. They each miss the inside jokes with friends or the get-togethers with their extended families. They miss the celebrity posters lining the walls of their bedrooms, and some even long for that annoying neighbor who insists on half-hour conversations over the backyard fence. I can only partially relate. Every move seems like an adventure I am about to embark on, one to of which no one has the map, but only the experience of reading the twinkle of the constellations. Each change that I experience is a blessing. I learn about new places, new people, new cultures, but most importantly, I learn about myself. I cherish the experiences, and learning about what I enjoy the most about life is a gift. Not only has moving allowed me to cultivate knowledge on various subjects, it has allowed me to truly know myself. This is why I face each change with a smile, and okay, maybe so I can learn about the latest fashion in kitchen cabinetry.