It’s My Life, Not Yours

Anthony - Cape Carteret, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that life should be lived to its full extent the way that you want to live it. Never let other people control your life because it’s there for you not them, they have their own lives. Each and every moment given to you is extremely precious and it can be taken away from you so quickly. You must take advantage of those moments given to you and live every day as if it was your last. Also, when I tell you that it’s my life that’s what I mean. It’s not my parent’s life, my teacher’s life, or my friend’s life. I have my own dreams and there is absolutely no reason why I would follow any of theirs.

It took a while, but after the past year of my life I finally realized how valuable life actually is. Last year (2007) I lived on a sport fish boat with my family in Central America living my own life. After a year of living in the remote, excluded areas of Central America I learned how to grasp hold of each and every special moment given to me. I shared countless experiences with my family last year that will never be forgotten and it’s because I decided that I was going to learn to be independent. I feel so spoiled compared to all of my friends and I hope that one day they will all experience moments like the ones I experienced because it is life changing. I will never look at the perspective of life the same anymore.

You must also learn to do what I spoke of earlier and that is to follow your dreams, not others. I am a very avid surfer and surfers are some of the most discriminated group of people in this world. When people first look at us walking towards them with our surfboards and listen to our uncomprehensible dialect they almost immediately think negatively about us. It’s my lifestyle and along with all other surfers I take it offensively when people exclude me. They assume that I’m just some pot head surfer with no life when that’s not the case at all. If people took the time to get to know me then they would realize that I’m an educated young adult who was brought up in a proper household with proper manners. Unfortunately I don’t think people’s views of surfers will ever change, but that will never hold me back from my lifestyle. I am in love with surfing and nothing will ever hold me back from the lineup.

Life is not all about fun and games though, hard times in your life are inevitable and you need to learn how to deal with those things as much as you don’t want to. Life is bitter sweet and that is why you must learn to take advantage of every minute you have because you never know when it’s all going to end and that is what I believe.