Summer - Emerald Isle, North Carolina

I’m sure everyone has done something that has affected another person or group of people dramatically. Whether it be losing a ten dollar bill or running a stop sign, your action still had an effect on someone else. At least I know that I have done things that affect others and other people have done things that affect my life greatly. I believe that people need to realize that their actions, good or bad, will affect others.

It was just a regular day in my middle school down on the coast. My dad had just dropped me off at school because my mom had gone to be with my grandmother during her shoulder surgery. I went through the school day as normal and left at three o’clock. I went home to a long distance call from my mom.

“Hey! Grandma’s surgery went great. Papa and I decided to go back to their house for the night because Grandma is doing fine,” said my mom.

“Well that’s good! Tell her I’m thinking about her,” I said.

We continued to talk for a little longer then said our goodbyes. The next morning, I woke up to the telephone ringing.

“I’ll get it Dad,” I said.

I grabbed the phone and my mom sounded upset.

“Can I speak to Dad,” she said frantically.

I then gave my dad the phone. Come to find out, the hospital had left my grandmother alone for an immense period of time and she was in great distress. Not only had they left her alone for a long time, the nurse had also given her too much medicine causing her to overdose. When my dad told me this I could not believe it. I wondered how this hospital could let this happen. Did they not realize how what they’d done was going to affect my family?

When I went to see her that weekend, I became upset. She could not even remember that we had moved out to the coast. She also thought that my cousin had gotten married. I could not believe this. Her memory was in extreme disorder. We were all hoping that everything would get sorted out. Her shoulder was fine but her memory was definitely not.

Still today, my grandmother cannot remember short term conversations or happenings. It continues to bother me that the hospital let this happen and that this instance has affected my family’s life. However, my grandmother is still my grandmother, good memory or bad.

This particular event and its effects have shaped the belief I have that people need to realize how their actions affect others. I have come to realize this and I believe others should too. Good or bad, in the long run, everything has an effect on someone.