Family Matters

Hannah - Emerald Isle, North Carolina

I believe that my family will be by my side through the good times and the bad times, no matter what. That is what a family does; they are supportive, understanding, and helpful.

One of my good friend’s dad was in a lot of trouble and decided that life was getting too difficult and that he could not take the pressure anymore. His name was Sam and he was about fifty-two years old. About three years ago, Sam decided to commit suicide. He left his whole family so suddenly that they didn’t even know that he was distressed.

Sam was an accountant and he had been getting into a lot of financial problems. To try and fix his problems he started embezzling accounts and stealing money from his clients. He was stealing money from one account to put in another to try and cover his tracks. But the police had been informed by one of his client’s that he was committing fraud and were going to arrest him. Sam heard that he was going to be arrested and became frightened. He drove around for a day trying to think of how he could get out of his mistakes. He could not think of anything and went home later that night. He acted as normal in front of his family and pretended that nothing was wrong. The next morning he left his house without any good-byes and drove his car out onto a deserted country road. He took a rifle, put it in his mouth, and pulled the trigger.

His family was devastated. He had a son that was twelve years old and his wife. They could not believe that something so terrible could happen to them. They looked all over for a note of some sort but never found anything. His wife could not believe that she had lived with a man that had lied and lived a double life for the past few years. Her bank accounts and credit cards were frozen and she had to pay back all of the debt that Sam had left unpaid.

This event showed me how important family can be. If Sam would have told his family that he was having financial problems before he started committing crimes, they could have helped him and he could still be alive. A family is always there for each other, whether it is a simple problem or a major problem, they will always have each others back. Even at your lowest times, when you feel the loneliest, you are never alone when you have your family beside you.