I Believe Everyone Should Live Life to its Fullest

Benjamin - 28594, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

I believe people should live life to its fullest. So far in 2008, I have seen and experienced how fast life can take a turn for the worse. People take life for granted. I really don’t think most people understand how valuable life is. We are all given only one chance in life and should make the best of it as we can.

Supposedly, January 1st marks the start of a bigger, better year for everyone. In my family’s case however, this year was nowhere near a “great” year. We all experienced great hardships throughout the first part of the year but the most serious was our father’s motorcycle accident.

On February 11th, my mom’s retina, in the back of her eye, was detached and she was carried to surgery, knowing that she may never be able to see out of that eye again. On February 14th, my sister had an outer-body, compound three fracture on her right elbow. She was flown to the trauma center because of her irregular heartbeat. On February 20th, my step-grandfather died of liver cancer. He had been in the hospital for six weeks, fighting for his life, but age took its toll.

The most serious and shocking moment in my life was on June 11th, 2008. I was sitting at home, on the computer when I received a telephone call from a friend’s father. “Taylor,” he said panting, “where are you?” “I’m at home,” I replied. “Your dad was just hit on his motorcycle,” he said with shock. At this moment, I honestly could not believe what I was hearing. I hardly managed the words, “My dad?” He told me that my dad had gotten hit pulling out onto the highway. Then he said he was coming to pick up my step-mom, Trish, and take her to the hospital.

I hung up the phone, still thinking about how this could happen. It couldn’t be my dad. No, not him. Not in my wildest dreams would I ever imagine him being in a motorcycle accident. I broke the news to Trish and right away, the color was flushed from her face and her body started trembling. I told her it would be alright, but it wasn’t enough.

As we both sat their helplessly, I started thinking about how quick a life can be ended after so much hard work. How I never thought about a family member passing away. It never crossed my mind before, because I took life for granted.

As time progressed and the news got better, I knew that my dad would be okay. Still, everyday, I try to live like it is my last. So much can be lost in just a split-second and I cannot take the chance of wasting my life thinking that death will never come knocking on my door. I believe that everyone should live life to its fullest.