Kendra - 28570, North Carolina
Themes: death

Death has no limits and no bounds; it takes who it wants. Death does not discriminate by age, sex, or religion; it merely does its job and relieves people of their time on Earth. With death comes new life and a second chance, this I believe. I was raised a Catholic and have been brought up to believe there is a place to go after death, Heaven.

Unlike most people, I have experienced death only once while I have been alive. About two months ago my family and I found out my grandfather had passed away. Unfortunately, he had passed away in January and we had just then found out. There is no right time to tell people that their loved one has passed on, but waiting eight months to share the news is an extensive period of time to wait. Anyway you put it, death is never easy to take, at least not in my case.

When I was younger, my family and I took the occasional trip to grandmother and grandfather’s house. There was mingling and eating among the adults and empty rooms to wonder through for us kids. My memory of my grandfather is a bit blurred. I remember looking up at him with his chiseled features and long brows. He seemed so wise and knowledgably, and yet I never had a real relationship with him.

To be honest, I did not take the news of his death that hard. I know that he is in a better place now and is looking over us. Sometimes I wonder though, how would my life have been affected if we had a close relationship? I guess some things are better left unknown.

Anais Nin once said, “People living deeply have no fear of death.” I think my grandfather lived a deep and fulfilling life, at least from what I remember. Even though his days of life on Earth have expired, I will never forget sitting in the backyard watching the sunset and him telling stories of the olden days.