Megan - havelock, North Carolina
Themes: morality

I believe abortion should be illegal except in some very rare and extenuating circumstances. These circumstances include rape/abuse and if the birth seriously endangers the mother’s life. I believe abortion is wrong and an act of murder. In my opinion life begins at conception. I feel this way because a fetus is a living and growing being and therefore a viable life. Although some people believe life starts at the first heartbeat I disagree because the fetus is taking human form and growing at a rapid pace, by aborting the fetus you are ending that fragile life.

Although many people think of an abortion as an answer for an unplanned pregnancy there can be many other circumstances which make people consider abortion. One example of these circumstances includes medical tests showing the child may have handicaps, deformities, diseases, or other health issues. Even in these circumstances, I still believe abortion is wrong. I feel this way because the child after conception has the right to life. God has a plan for everyone. Each person faces challenges and sometimes the biggest challenges bring the best rewards. Another reason is the medical tests could be incorrect and you could abort a healthy fetus. With today’s medical advances the baby’s health issues may not be as big of a deal as you might think.

There is truly no reason to abort a baby because of careless and unplanned actions. There are many couples who try to have a baby and are unsuccessful in doing so; where as some women when they get pregnant go and get an abortion to “deal” with the problem. Thousands of couples are unable to conceive a child of their own and would love the opportunity to raise a child. So I believe adoption is a much better option to abortion.

I think they are alternatives to abortion. If you are mature enough to do the act then you need to be mature enough to deal with the consequences. Abortion is not the only solution or answer. Other options include adoption, giving custody of the child to a family member or deciding to keep and raise the child yourself. If you are unable to take care of the child or are unwilling to accept the responsibility then you should consider one of those options so the child could have a chance for a happy life. I think getting “rid” of the problem in such a way as abortion should not even be an option, except in the extreme circumstances mentioned above. Life is precious gift and should not be easily destroyed and that is why I believe abortion should be illegal.