The Greatest Sport

Andrew - Newport, North Carolina

What is the greatest sport in the world? In my opinion there is no greater sport than hunting in the outdoors. There is something about that crisp morning air that seeps deep inside you making you yearn to do it again. For me, hunting is more than a sport, it is an obsession.

I get up three hours before the sun, to do what? To get ready for the game. I slide out of bed anticipating an exciting day. The gear has been prepared the night before, we grab it and we are off. The boat is put overboard and decoys strapped down. Our way is lit with just a dim light, the moon. Now the game is nearing and we must hurry. The decoys are put out and the sun is coming up. I race to hide the boat, jump in the blind and wait for the clock to hit shooting time. Temptation is great, listening to the whistling wings come and go. The time is here the silence is broken and the guns ring out. Harvest is collected and the wait begins again.

Hunting is a race against the clock as there are just a few windows of opportunity. The adrenaline flows hard and then, when the skies are clear, I’m able to relax and enjoy the beauty. When the air is cool and the water is calm and clear, one may be able to see the sandy bottom some eight feet down, which is a sight in itself. The sheer enjoyment I have of this sport and the beauty of our natural surroundings is an experience I hope that many have the opportunity to participate in.