What I Believe

Summer - Emerald Isle, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

Life can take a turn for the worst at any given time. I had a close call to death when I was only nine years old. After this accident, I have come to realize that life is too short to dwell on the small things. Therefore, I believe that people should live life to the fullest to make sure that when they see their life flash before their eyes, they do not regret anything they may see. I think people should live every day so that when they lie down to go to sleep at night, they will not have that heaviness in their chest that they get when they know they made a wrong decision.

I was on a family vacation in Boone, North Carolina. I was extremely excited about the trip because I was finally going to learn how to ski. I had stayed on the beginner slopes the whole first day. Later though, some of the friends I had met decided to go on the intermediate slopes; I was too afraid to even try them. Soon, I saw the snowmobile fly by with their siren sounding very loudly. Shortly after, it was coming back towards the lodge pulling a stretcher with one of the girls I had met early that day. It shocked me a little as I muttered to myself, “I’m glad that will never happen to me.”

The next day, my family had finally persuaded me in to trying out the intermediate slope. When I got off the ski lift, I stumbled over to where the slope began. People encouraging me to “just go”, I finally got up the courage to start skiing. I had not properly learned how to ski, or stop skiing at that, so when I quickly passed my sister and dad at a rapid speed, I was scared. The last thing Iremember is seeing the end of the slope and thinking, “I’m happy this is almost over.”

When I woke up, I was in the first-aid center. I later learned that I had attempted to swerve to miss something, which caused me to ski off a twenty foot cliff. My dad was the first to find me unconscious at the bottom of the cliff. First responders were quick to get me to an ambulance. When I arrived at Boone Hospital, they quickly told me they could not help me and, “honey, you might not make it.” I was then airlifted to Baptist Hospital where I was greeted by a lot of my family. Over night in the hospital, I learned that I had a blood clot near my brain and a broken bone somewhere behind my left eye.

For six months, I could not play at recess, participate in physical education, or even play sports. They were the worst months of my life.

However, because of this accident, I believe people should live life to the fullest so if they should go, they will have no qualms about their life.