Online Multiplayer RPG’s Can Foster Meaningful Friendships

Samuel - cedar point, North Carolina

The truth is; I was addicted to World of Warcraft. I spent countless hours of my life vanquishing demons and completing quests. The game consumed my life, but alas I can honestly say the people I met while playing that game mean as much to me as any tangible figure in my life today. I learned from them as good as anyone could and cherish that thought despite what parts of playing that game I might regret.

From the day I began playing that game I was surrounded by a multitude of people who shared many of my interests. Joining a guild allowed me to familiarize myself with a specific group of people not only through typing messages, but by talking through a headset program called ventrillo. The conversations focused around ordinary topics and I was introduced to a variety of people from different cultural backgrounds and lifestyles. One such person was Freelancer, a man in his mid 30’s from Ireland, who told us the most interesting stories about his life and country.

Some of my friends from the game taught me valuable lessons from their personal choices. I can vividly remember the day one of my favorite questing buddies came on and said, “Well, it looks like I’m going to have to quit playing for a while and heal up. It turns out that I’ve been smoking and drinking so much that it’s torn a hole in my stomach.” I was shocked. At only 14 one of my friends had already smoked and drank enough to get an ulcer. From that moment on I knew for sure that I would not be participating in such activities, since I was already proving that I lacked the ability to moderate some of my more time consuming activities.

World of Warcraft may have in once sense been a waste of time and daylight, but on the other hand, the people I met and befriended changed my life for the better. I do not in any way regret the time I spent playing that game, for the friendships that were forged were as meaningful as any I have ever had and perhaps more meaningful than some.