Flipping Coins

Ellen - Newport, North Carolina

If I were to flip a coin and choose heads, it would probably land on tails. But even with that said, I believe that I am lucky. Not in the coin-flipping sense, but in nearly all other ways. I have been blessed with so much, and I do not think that I could ever give enough thanks for all that I have. Every person I have ever met has made an impact on my life in some way or another, and so many people have given me things that I do not deserve. If I could have just one chance to give thanks for all the good I have been given, there is no doubt that I would take the opportunity.

Having life on this earth, first of all, is more than just good luck. Out of the whole universe, why was I lucky enough to be born on Earth as a human being, and better yet, as an American citizen? I am lucky enough to live in the land of the free, where I have the rights to speak, act, and think freely. I can pursue my dreams no matter how big and crazy, and no one can stop me from being who I want to be.

On top of that, I have a good family. My parents are still together, my siblings and I get along, and I am healthy. My dad has a good job and I live in a beautiful home. My mom cares about me and will listen to what I have to say. I can wear what I want, listen to the music I like, and play the sports I enjoy. My school is clean, safe, and offers a great education. I have yet to experience the death of anyone close to me and, although it is inevitable, I hope I will not have to anytime soon.

Things always seem to go my way, and I always wonder what I have done to deserve such great luck. All I know is that I can use my luck for the good of others. I will one day become a contributing member of society and give others the good things I have been given. Starting today, I will be grateful for everything that goes my way in life. I believe that I am lucky. If you look around at everything in your favor, you might realize that you are lucky too. So, heads or tails?