Samantha - ypsilanti, Michigan

What Goes Around, Comes Around…

“What goes around comes around.” My mom has told me this ever since I was in elementary school. Its like a domino effect. When you push the first domino down, all the others fall down, too. I’ve experienced this so many times, it’s a cliché to me. This concept or phrase is used universally and it has the same meaning as “You get what you deserve.” I could say I believe that this is true without even blinking!

My friend Jacob was literally run over by his next door neighbor experiencing this concept second hand ! Jacob was playing with his friend that lives next door in their drive way and without even looking behind herself before backing out , his neighbor drove right over Jacobs leg! Jacob had to spend nearly a week in the emergency room, and on top of that, the neighbor tried saying that she didn’t do it! I guess she was naive because she didn’t realize that there was evidence and that she could get prosecuted in court of law for what she did. Jacob is fine now, but he could have been critically injured or even killed for that matter. In Justin Timberlake’s famous words: “What goes around comes around!!” I guess you can learn this the easy way or the hard way, and I’m guessing that Jacobs neighbor chose the hard way!

Every action has a reaction and then that reaction causes a new action. It is like a circle of life. In Hinduism, many believe that life and death are on the same side of the coin. This meaning that the moment you die, you are reborn, and this life gets to decide what’s in our next life. I believe that Hindi people kind of have the right idea. Even though I am Christian, I believe that life is a long chain of cause and effect situations. Jacob’s situation is like a link in his individual chain. It doesn’t matter how long it takes , whether it happens in five seconds, days, months, or even years! In Jacobs case it took about three weeks but it differentiates depending on the situation. Give it time and karma will catch up to you.

If you treat people the way you want to be treated, I believe that you are kind hearted and you care about more than yourself. Have dignity and respect for yourself and others, and you should have a very positive karma. Karma pretty much means everything will have a consequence: good or bad. Starbucks will close more than 600 shops in the U.S. in the coming months, which analysts say is a consequence of the chain’s spreading too far, too fast. If they didn’t believe in karma before, I’m sure they do now!

In conclusion, I believe that each and every person should think about what they are doing. Is it how you’d like to treated? If its not, remember, “What goes around, comes around!”