People Can Change

Trevor - Emerald Isle, North Carolina
Themes: change

I believe that people are capable of changing. Everyone makes poor decisions. Some people make decisions that are worse than the choices of others. However, negative choices have the potential to cause a positive impact.

My mother has a cousin, Jon, who abused drugs and stole money from family members during his upbringing. After unremitting occurrences of drug abuse in his later years, he ultimately ended up in prison.

Living in prison has made Jon reconsider the consequences of his poor decisions with drug abuse. Impelled by the desire to help others, Jon has found motivation to be good again. He worked very hard to receive his GED. Jon uses his certification to teach other prisoners in jail. In addition, he serves as a counselor to inmates struggling with drug addiction and abuse.

Jon’s case has proven that people can change, no matter how poor their decisions can be. Everyone has it in their heart to do good things. However, some people lose hindsight of that. Each individual on Earth has the capability to improve, change, and become better. The challenge, on the other hand, is enacting the necessary habits to transform one’s fundamental nature and typical actions. Turning one’s life around is no easy task, but Jon has verified firsthand that it is possible.