I Believe Cheerleading is a Sport

Hali - Newport, North Carolina
Themes: sports

I believe cheerleading is a sport. Cheerleaders do the same thing many other sports teams. Many of these things include their practices, conditioning, injuries, trying-out, the way the do things and their rules and guide-lines. Just because they are not exactly the same things, it does not mean anything.

Practices are considered just as important as any other sports group. They are just as hard and just as long. They will work on form and motions. They also work on sharpness and stability. Therefore, they are as much of a work out and it takes just as much conditioning has any other sport does.

Although cheerleading does not take the exact same conditioning as other girls sports, cheerleaders condition just as much and just as hard. Cheerleaders must work out their body and make sure they are physically ready to do what they need to do. While conditioning, cheerleaders work their leg, arm, abdomen muscles and (depending on the type of practice they are having) they will work their back muscles. They will also do a lot of running to help them stretch. In order to not get injured, they must make sure they are completely stretched.

Out of all women sports, it is statistically proven that cheerleading is the sport with the most with the most injuries. Injuries happen in many different ways. One way is the flyer can get dropped from a stunt and hit the ground. Another way is one of the bases will get hurt during or after a stunt. A tumbler can hurt themselves but braking or spraining a bone. These things can happen at anytime, during games, practices, and even competitions.

School cheerleaders will have tryouts to determine who is on the squad and whether they are Junior Varsity or Varsity. The girls (or guys) trying out will have to learn a cheer, a few chants, and a dance routine to perform at the end of the week. Then the coach, along with other judges, will choose the best scored and they will get a spot on the squad. This is the same with many other sports.

Cheerleaders do much more than just stand in formation at football/basketball games in short skirts and yell “Go Team Go”. Cheerleaders do stunts, such as a Scorpion and jumps, such as a Russian. These are just a two things cheerleaders do. They also do one very important things which represent the team and cheer them on win or lose.

Lastly, cheerleaders have the same rules and guidelines as any other sport does. School cheerleaders must sign both an Athletic Constitution and a Cheerleading Constitution. Both of these state what rules and guidelines cheerleaders must follow. Cheerleaders must maintain a C average. They must stay out of trouble both in- and outside of school because as a cheerleader you are representing you school and what it stands for. Cheerleaders, along with other athletes, are role models for other students and that’s that.