The Time Is Now

Patrick - Emeral Isle, North Carolina

The Time Is Now

I believe that the true president of the United States should be Barack Obama. I am firmly convinced that we Americans must wake up and realize that we need to change the direction our country is moving in. After watching the national debates on television, I was persuaded that Barack represents the change that we so desperately need.

What do I mean by change? I have really been trying to define this for the last month or so, which has led me to the conclusion that change is not an easy thing for me to describe. When I think about the choice between McCain and Obama, it seems to me that there is a clear difference between the direction that the country will go, under the leadership of either man.

I wish to follow in Obama’s footsteps because he represents the America that I want to live in, in my future. This is an America where everyone has a chance to succeed, not just the rich. In Obama’s America, the rich would not have an advantage over other people. Education would be a priority; teachers would be paid decent salaries. And, maybe, just maybe, health care would be affordable and available to every American.

For me, being an American used to mean being generous, caring, and selfless. Obama truly is the only candidate who seems to care about these traditional American values.

Today, being an American means owning gas guzzling cars, building huge mansions, draining the world’s resources, ruining the environment, and spending less money on education and other critical needs. I do not want to live in this kind of America! I am no longer proud to be an American because I think that we have lost track of what we stand for. I am tired of being angry with our leadership. I want to be able to support my elected leaders, rather than muting the television when they appear in front of the American people.

Barack inspires a feeling of pride in me that has been missing for a long time. I feel that he will change our image abroad, and that he will guide the American people in the right way. He is the only candidate willing to tell the American people the truth: we need to change our life styles or we are doomed, here and in the eyes of the world.

The time is now, America. We must have the courage to choose the right path that will lead us back to what it means to be an American. We must ignore all the lies that are being spread out of ignorance and fear, and vote with our hearts and our conscience. This I believe: Obama is our only hope for America’s future.