I Believe

Audrey - Newport, North Carolina

I believe that everyone is worth meeting. Labels, stereotypes, and unfair judgments are the worst things in my opinion. As a senior in high school, I experience these things on a daily basis, as soon as I walk through the double doors. I must admit that at first I was caught up in this popularity race, constantly worrying about the latest trends, constantly wondering who was cool enough to hang out with, and worst of all, constantly judging people. I soon learned, however, that this really did not matter to me at all, so I changed my ways and became the person I really am, not the person I was trying to be.

Even though I may not be caught up in all the drama of high school, the majority of people still are. People think they are better than others because they have nicer things, the perfect boyfriend, or hang out with the “popular” crowd. Never do they stop to talk to the person they sit in front of everyday during their first period or to the person in the cafeteria who sits alone. However, I now believe that everyone deserves to be met, because everyone has something unique and different about themselves, something to share with everyone around them.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something different is the greatest accomplishment.” I believe this statement to be true. I also believe that people should not get caught up in trivial matters and that they should not judge people, or look down on people just because they have never met them. Everyone has a story to tell, so everyone is worth listening to. Thus, I challenge everyone to meet someone they have not taken the time to meet. No one is ever too busy to give someone their time and attention.