Hard Work

Danielle - Boardman, Ohio
Themes: work

Hard Work

I believe that hard work will pay off in the long run. If someone puts all their effort into something they will be rewarded in the end. I believe that people work hard to get what they want out of life.

When I was ten years old my parents decided that my brother and I should get a newspaper route. So within a couple weeks a representative from the Vindicator came to the house and I signed the contract. I was informed of everything I had to do, and was excited that I would make some money.

The following week we started. My mom came with us everyday, for safety reasons. We needed to deliver the newspapers everyday after school and needed to be up by 7:30 am on the weekends. After a couple weeks, the excitement got old and we were frustrated and overwhelmed by the job we took on. Some days the job wouldn’t get done right and it would end up taking longer than usual. There were cold winter days, where all I wanted to do was stay inside, but the job had to be done. There were always those days when quitting sounded like the best option.

When Christmas came around, our customers were very generous. That’s when I realized that all my hard work would pay off and that these people appreciated the hard work we put into the job. I started saving my money and putting in the bank. With my savings I had bought myself a bike and a television by the time I was in seventh grade. By buying these things with my own money I began to appreciate things and take care of them more. I realized how much time and hard work it took to get these things.

I have had this paper route for seven years and it is a big job. I have made friends with

the people on my route, learned to enjoy the exercise, and I have made some money. This paper route has taught me how important hard work is. A quote from Thomas Edison says, “There is no substitute for hard work.” I believe that without hard work and initiative people will have a

hard time getting what they want in life. I am glad my parents didn’t let me quit when times got tough. This paper route has taught my many life lessons that I will need to know as I grow up and enter the real world.