I Believe in the Power of Running

Tanner - Mesa, Arizona

There are many pressures in my life that consume my mind with stress and fear. These pressures stem from my duties at both school and home. The only way that I can feel free from the corruption of these pressures is to run. Whether it’s running fast or slow; long or far, running always transports me to a place where I can be content, and focus all of my emotion towards one goal, keep running. I believe in the power of running.

I first started running for the sake of running in the sixth grade at the tender age of ten years old. Obviously, I had run an extensive amount throughout the previous part of my childhood, but then it was always for another sport or activity. It was always for basketball, baseball, or soccer, but never just to run. . Also, I thought that perhaps, since the sport required no previous skills, I would be able to succeed at the sport. For the first few weeks of cross country practice, I found it to be nothing more than an early morning annoyance. But as I began to progress, I realized that while I was by no means the best, I was somewhat talented at this obscure sport. Once in a great while, I would even feel as though running was uplifting, instead of pointlessly debilitating.

By the time that I was in the eighth grade, I had begun to excel at the sport. I also realized that running made everything in my life easier. Around this time was when I realized that many people viewed running as a foolish sport or activity because all one does is run. Upon realizing this, I discovered that this was the reason running appealed to me so much, because it was the purest form of competition. Also, I found that other people chose not to run because it was too hard for something so simple, and once again I took pride in the fact that I worked so hard at something that many other people were not willing to do. This pride provided me with a powerful confidence that I had always lacked. While I was running, I felt more capable then I had my entire life.

By the time that I had entered my junior year in high school, running had become somewhat of an addiction. I would feel worthless and all of my problems seemed to expand until they enveloped all of my thoughts. I experienced this depression for a consecutive three months last march when I severely sprained my right ankle and was unable to run at all throughout that entire time But when I was finally able to run again after a month of grueling physical therapy, it was the greatest euphoria I had ever experience. It was at this point that I realized that I truly believed in the power of running. Its ability to clear one’s thought, and empower with confidence.