heather - ogden, Utah

Ever since I was a little girl I have been fascinated, enthralled and giddy over horses. What is this power that thy hath held over me for more than 40 years? Now most little girls are inflicted with this illness of dancing at the mere sight of this majestic beast. But alas; they soon grow out of it when they are old enough to catch they eye of a boy.

However there are those of us who never recover from the enchanted wink of this magical creature. One nuzzle from the velvet nose, one breath upon my neck and the feel of a silken body that would carry me across all the fantasies of my thoughts and I was gone.

Why even the first day I landed in the dirt; was as thrilling as galloping across the knee deep grass, splashing through an icy river to leap into a golden pond and swim the rift only to fall from his slippery back as we galloped up the steep slope on the opposite side of the world. My heart sank as the reins slipped from my hands and I thought my valiant steed was loose and on his own.

I watched as he scaled the steep divide and I spit mud from my lips. I clawed my way to the top and expected to see a wisp of main and tail headed for home. But instead there he was my friend, my benefactor, my rescuer the horse. Waiting patiently for me to swing on his bare back and continue the dream.

Why did he wait? I believe it is because we speak all the time. I talk to him about everything and he to me. We communicate through, breath, touch, words and movement. We take not only long rides together but long walks. I walk by his side and he by mine. I lean on him when I am sad and share my joy when I am happy. He has the power of unconditional love. The secret magic it takes to make mucking a stall not so bad. I love that he is so happy with fresh bedding and the sweet smell of fresh straw to fill his dreams at night. We hold power of one another this horse and I. This I believe.