A Pledge

Kristena - Swansboro, North Carolina

A Pledge

I pledge allegiance to my friends, to always be faithful, to be loyal, and to be there for them.

I believe that in a friendship there has to be loyalty. I’ve had several friends that have not been loyal, and there have even been a few times were I have not been loyal to some of my friends. For example, my friends and I have got into fights and arguments over the stupidest things. I have this friend named Brittany and we have been friends for eleven years now, and we have not been that loyal to each other. She believed something that someone told her, and they blamed it on me and by that we weren’t loyal because she was always mad at me because of that. I have also done the same thing. Since we have been best friends for so long that we should ask the other person if it is true or not and not just believe what other people say.

Now, my friends mean the world to me, and without loyalty, there is not really a friendship. Today we are still best friends, but in a way we are kind of going our own ways, and I think it’s because she has found a new friend. But in the end I believe that we are still going to be best friends.

My life has changed a lot from friends and myself not being loyal. I’ve realized that not being friends with someone who was a really good friend of mine hurt me on the inside, and it made me miss them a lot. I feel that it is harder for me to get friends new friends, just because my and Brittany were always hanging out and did everything together. I have lost some old friends that I wish were still my friends today. The friends that I have now are loyal and I have chosen them carefully. Sometimes friends can be a bad influence on me. I also feel that they are honest in what they say to me. I wish that I would have known about loyalty having a lot to do with friendship then, and I do now. Being almost eighteen years old, I am learning all about life in a different perspective, and it is changing the way I think, and also the way I feel about things, and people.

That’s why I think that loyalty in a friendship means a lot.