More Bars In More Places

Claire - San Antonio, Texas

I believe in AT&T.

This, I guess, means I also believe in Cingular and Southwestern Bell.

When AT&T bought out Southwestern Bell, I got moved from St. Louis, Missouri to San Antonio, Texas, a hard move for my parents to be sure. I however, was only three.

Still, it had an effect on my life. I live in a family oriented neighborhood, full of people I have grown up alongside. Whenever I need help, I need not look further than one of my next-door neighbors.

I believe in UUMC, the place is basically my second home. I know a huge portion of the people there, and even in a church of five thousand people and two separate campuses, I know where everything is.

Which brings me to Cingular. I believe that “raising the bar” has a distinct ring to it, to be sure, but I also believe in the misery it’s caused 700 people. Way more than 700 people, actually, because they didn’t think about those 700 people’s families, apparently.

Okay, sure, I’m not the only person who’s ever moved, but it really just doesn’t seem fair. I mean, I grew up with the mindset “Sure, people move all the time. People all over the world have to move. Just not me.” Why would I ever have to move? I don’t have one of those dysfunctional families that have to run from something, neither of my parents are in the military, we’re doing just fine financially; why would we ever have to move?

So of course, whenever someone grows up with a mindset like that about anything, it has to be fixed. Cingular took it upon themselves to fix me by marrying my dad’s company (AT&T) and, as we all well know, in many occasions, a move accompanies a marriage.

So all in one day, my dad (with no warning) got told he was moving, was told he had to tell all his employees that they were moving, and then had to come home and tell us we were moving.

Great.

Just like any incompetent teenager, I’m most secure with the people I know love me. My friends, peers, and family make me laugh and I love to be around them. Unfortunately for Cingular, I hate security. I believe it makes life boring and monotonous.

Consequently, I believe AT&T has failed in their mission to win this match with a knock-out. I’m pretty sure they expected me to cry and sink down and be done. Regrettably for them, I view this move as a challenge, one I fully intend to accept and embrace. Training for it will be hard, learning to make friends and adjust to a new house, neighborhood, church, school, but I think training for it (and thinking about it) is going to be so much harder than the match itself.

So now it’s on. A moody teenage girl against the largest company in San Antonio (soon to be the largest company in Dallas). Did they ever really stand a chance?