The Unholy Matrimony

Ryan - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: addiction

Addiction is one of the human mind’s worst enemies. Once you start to do drugs you just can’t stop; you turn corrupt and slowly kill yourself and possibly others. Depressingly, my dad had one of these life destroying addictions.

My dad was a truck driver; my mom a 20 year old high school dropout that had a 3 year old son and a divorce. My mom’s car was stalled on the side of the road. Just think how romantic it was when the truck driver offered to take her where she needed to go. First came the digits then the date, marriage then me; lastly TROUBLE!

Of course my mom knew. My dad and she had done drugs, many times together. She just didn’t know that it was way past the serious point. She checked herself into the women’s shelter on several occasions and they took pictures of the bruises and put them on file.

Slowly it all fell apart. She was about zip open the bunker curtain on the truck when she realized they weren’t moving. Carefully, she found an eyehole through the zipper and spotted him about to inhale white powder through his nose. She was terrified. She bumped into his chair and he dropped his drugs. He was infuriated; bruises and still more bruises. She didn’t know what to do.

She went to her in-laws, “we know” was the sad reply. There was no where else to turn but away. Do you know how difficult it is to run from and abusive loved one when the make you feel like your not good enough for anyone else? Still she summed up the courage and packed up everything that was mine and my brother’s. We attempted to leave, it was 3 a.m.. As she turned the key in the ignition and my father ran out of the house, shotgun in hand. At this point my brother and I were petrified and crying. She put the car in reverse and tried to back out of the driveway; it was too late. He jumped in front of the car as her foot lifted off the pedal out of fear; the gun was pointed at his wife’s head.

I now live in Texas; several states away from my dad’s home in Georgia. My brother and I now have two younger siblings and my mom is a new, more mature responsible person. She has never been happier. She’s been married to the same amazing man for 11 years now. My real dad though has changed even more. After we finally escaped he wanted to win my mom back. He went to church and quit every drug he ever touched. God rewarded him with a new wife and a daughter. Changes in life aren’t always a bad thing; especially when it comes to addictions, family and love. This I believe