I Believe In not Setteling for Mediocity

Brandon - Plantation, Florida

I believe that settling for mediocrity is a crime. Everyone should try different things but play with pride and passion. Everyone has potential to do great things in life. But you have to put the time and the effort into it.

This summer I learned how hard it really is to make it to the next level and be successful. After every hot, sunny day I thought I was one step closer to my potential goal to play college baseball. Every day I would work hard in the weight room and on the baseball field. I would sweat and put in every last morsel of energy into my workouts just to hear my coach motivating me with, “Why are you settling for mediocrity?” So after feeling as if I had no possible strength left to give, I would muster up the strength to give just a little bit more; because that’s what it takes to make it to the next level.

I discovered that the contagious vibe of laziness causes a waste of talent. My coach, Nick, and teammates cured the disruptive mind set of the team.

This summer, I also learned how hard it is to make it to the next level of success. In the classroom, I must be my own leader. On the baseball field, I have to set the example for others to follow. I spent June, July, and August training to make myself better and to separate myself from the norm.

I will never forget my incentive is to play college baseball. That drove me to endure every gut-wrenching practice; the practices that I thought I could never finish and the workouts that seemed too strenuous to overcome.

As Fall classes drew nearer and the training was harder, I saw my teammates begin to slack. Sometimes baseball games are not won until the last couple innings so our coaches preach that you must give your entire effort throughout the game, not just in the beginning. My coach criticized them and gave them a speech on how they are just mediocre and will never have the chance to play college baseball. No one knows of my team, the University School baseball team. We have to make a name for ourselves so when we play other teams they are going to throw their best pitcher and play the best nine.

As my teammates and I began to walk back to the bench, my coach yelled at us from within the dugout with a smirk on his face, “you will get all of the rest that you need when you’re dead.” I live by this quote and this is the mentality by which I approach life, whether in the classroom or on the baseball field.