The Power of Music

Emily - Ringgold, Georgia

Most psychologists agree that music has a soothing sensation on people. This therapeutic effect may come from a long-lost memory of the womb in which a mother’s heartbeat gives the unborn child a sense of connection to another individual. As a person grows, this desire for a link to take away the loneliness and to be understood also grows. For this reason, I believe that music is an outlet for the soul. It is a way to express personal and intimate emotions, allows an individual to connect with fellow human beings, and brings happiness to others. I believe in the power of music.

I have experienced the uplifting power of music in countless ways, but the most personal is the manner in which music expresses my emotions. It is incredible to see how a simple melody can accurately portray and enhance my moods. When I am depressed, I want nothing other than to grab my flute and let out the lilting, lyrical tones that make up a haunting Bach Sonata. Alternately, playing a light, bouncing melody makes even the brightest day brighter. Even listening to a singer share his or her story can have an amazing effect on me. Music can sometimes express my emotions more accurately than words alone.

Not only can I more accurately express my emotions through music, but I have also found that music helps me to connect with others. The concert band that I am involved in has helped me build relationships that will last by bringing together a close circle of diverse individuals who would do anything for each other. A degree of trust and respect between the other band members and myself is the result of countless hours of rehearsals necessary to perfect our music. Through this shared time we have learned how to work together in order to produce a flawless concert, while enjoying each other’s company. This friendship is enhanced by our shared passion for music.

In addition to the strong bonds that my involvement in the band has given me, music also brings joy to others by lifting their spirits in times of sorrow. Music can give a person a sense of connection which may take away the loneliness in times of need, even if he or she is not involved in the production of the music. After performing before an audience, the feeling that I have made a difference in someone’s life can be overwhelming. The satisfaction of helping someone through a hard time makes the energy spent in preparation more than worthwhile. This simple act can transform the lives of the musician as well by seeing that others appreciate his or her dedication to music.

Through my experiences with music, I have discovered that even a few simple melodic notes can have enough power to change a person’s life. Music has a therapeutic effect that comes from a cathartic release of emotions, as well as a unique connection to others achieved by bringing joy into someone’s life. My involvement in music has been the most rewarding aspect of my life because of the strong relationships that it has helped me form. I believe that music is the secret to happiness. I believe that music can change the world. I believe in the unending power of music.