Phone Call

neeta - missouri city, Texas

I believe that everything happens for a reason, God has a big book in his hand that tells him what will happen next in my life. My brother taught me that.

I remember driving with my friend from church on day waiting for the red light to turn green and I get a phone call. This phone call is one I will never forget. It was my mom on the phone. She called to inform that my best friend had just died in a car accident that very morning. My best friend Josh Thomas had been driving and was hit by a car that passed the red light. After hearing this shocking news all I could do was think of it as a nightmare and wish I could wake up.

I did not say anything and just hung up the phone and kept driving. I had known Josh ever since the age of three. We went to the same church; soon we were neighbors and then classmates. I was remembering all the good and bad times we used to have when we were young and the recent days. I remember going to his house, taking his mother’s car and then crashing it into the garage door, that day we were in big trouble!! I remember getting into little arguments on the phone and in about five minutes calling back to say sorry and be back to normal like nothing even happened.

After a couple of days later I still was not over the loss of one amazing friend, but the only thing I did was blame God for it. I asked him why he did this to me. Why did he take my best friend away from me? Josh was like the brother that I always wanted and never got, but sent to me as a friend. Now that he was gone I did not know who to tell all my secrets to, who to yell at when I was mad, who would laugh at my corny jokes and who to get advice from.

I would sit at home and just cry until my mom came in to comfort me. I did not know how to deal with the situation I was in. I was in denial and was angry with myself. I believed that God was testing me for something that I did wrong. Why did God have to punish me in such a harsh way? What did I do to deserve this?

About two weeks later my mom could not take my pain and called my older brother and told him to come down from Austin to talk to me. He understood the situation I was in and helped me through my tough time. He told me “Neeta, you need to take this is in a positive way,” he told me “you should be happy that God took him to a better place.” After his inspiring words of wisdom in which he portrayed two little sentences, I was like you know you are right. Josh did go to a better place and is watching over me and my every stupid move and probably laughing.

It’s been a little over a year since Josh passed and everyday before I go to sleep, I pray, to thank God for keeping me safe and taking Josh to a better place, even though I wish he would be here with me. Even though it might be harsh, I believe that when someone close to you dies, it is better to thank God, than blame him for taking them away.

Everything does happen for a reason. Josh’s death helped me realize how much God does for us and cares for us. I loved Josh and that love made me love God more than ever.