My Superstitions

Pyae Phyo - Yangon, Myanmar

When I young, I didn’t know what superstition was and I didn’t care it. I heard that the English are afraid to walk under the ladder. They believe that if they walk under the ladder, they will be unlucky. I thought that it is nonsense. I asked myself “What is SUPERSTITION?”. A German poet, playwright and scientist Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe, said “Superstition is the poetry of Life.

I confess that believing astrology is a kind of superstition. Most of the people in Myanmar, including my family believe in astrology. For instance, when I graduated the Matriculation exam, my mother wanted me to enter the army but my father didn’t agree. So, they went to see the astrologer to tell my future. The astrologer told them “He is not suitable to work for government or military.” So, my mother gave up her plan. My mother says that “Astrology is the important role of life and you should believe it. If you follow the description of it, you fortune will be good and bad things will go away.” Today, many astrology books are published in a sign of Zodiac, day of birth, etc. I buy and read that kind of books. I find that some of the descriptions in the book are true or only accidence.

Taking or wearing the charms is another superstition. One of my friend who always put the green ribbons on her head when she took exams. When I saw ribbons on her head, I took these off. That time she said angrily “Give it back. If I don’t wear these, I’ll fail the exam.” She was so serious. Later I knew myself, I also have a superstition. For example, I sat at the last chair of the exam room when I took my exam. It was my lucky place and I got the high score.

Marlene Dietrich, an American film actress, stated “Superstitions are habits rather than beliefs.” Although I’m not a real Chinese, I believe most of the Chinese’s way. The elder Chinese don’t like wearing the only black and white color together because it represent the “Death”. Another Chinese fallacy is praying the ancestors. Every year, my mother and I go to the temple and burn the paper houses, car, slaves, money and so on for our ancestors. I strongly believe that I can get the prosperity by praying the our ancestors.

Sometime I thought, I don’t want to tie with superstitions. But that superstition make true for me.So, I believe in superstition.