James - Sugar Land, Texas

In the world today it is not uncommon to see someone pulling their hair out in dismay over the stress their lives bring them. I often find myself amidst many of my fellow students, burnt out, exhausted from lack of sleep and complaining about the truckload of things they had left to do before they could reach their beds that night. I always seem to question “Why do you work yourself so hard?” but the response always seems to come back the same. “So I can get into the right college and get a good job.” Something about that response always seemed backwards to me. Running yourself ragged so you can continue to do so? I always though that life should be enjoyed. I believe that life should be led in way that makes us happy.

Some may find the way I choose to look at life as irresponsible, as frivolous, perhaps even ridiculous. They might say that I’m making up excuses for laziness or no work ethic. But no, it is merely that I think that people should enjoy the short life they are given. It troubles me to see people grinding themselves to the point where they cannot indulge in their own personal lives. I suppose this thought came from when I discovered my passion for music.

I had always thought that the standard career-path never seemed right for me. I was left completely unsure of what I could do with myself, that is until I began learning the trumpet in middle school. That same year I picked up a guitar and began extensively practicing and delving into my own creativity. I would often find myself lost in the slight nuances of songs, songs of any style and any genre. I loved to just close my eyes and find every detail to every note and every slight effect placed in the background of the pieces. I’ve since learned several instruments and create my own works often. I know that it is the passion that drives me and I will pursue it for the remainder of my time here. My love for music grounds me and keeps me from wrecking myself with stress.

It is because I’ve found true happiness in something that I believe everyone deserves to find exactly what makes them feel this way. I wish everyone could find fulfillment in something they love completely. Something that could allow them to take time for themselves and see that life doesn’t have be a constant grind.