Our Valuable Lesson

Shawn - Missuri, Texas

Our Valuable Lesson

I love being in the car when my brother is driving. Even though he drives fast and listens to fairly loud music I find it very exhilarating. Usually if there were many of cars on the road I would be scared for my life. One night when my brother Sanal and I were coming home from a campus ministry meeting at University of Houston, he was speeding 30 miles over the speed limit on the highway 610. It did not seem like a good idea because it was night time and there were many cars on the road. It was terrifying to see gigantic sky crappers zip by in the matter of seconds and I felt as if I was on a roller coaster but this one could actually fatal. I didn’t like to tell Sanal to slow down because he would be furious and drive even faster. Suddenly the phone started to ring and it was my dad and he said, “Where are you, why aren’t you guys home yet!” Here we were flying by cars and switching lanes on the free way and my brother is talking on the phone. I had a strange feeling something bad was going to happened but I didn’t know what or when but I knew something was wrong. The air conditioning was on full blast, I was drenched in sweat because I was so scared of his wreck less driving. At last I saw the exit for Sanal and I to get off the free way. We were close to the end of 610 which only took ten minutes long but it felt like an eternity, but it didn’t matter because it was going to be all over soon. Suddenly something went wrong because he wasn’t slowing down for the exit and I shouted, “Where are you going! The exit is right there.” He told me to relax and that he was taking a short cut. The fear started to rise inside me again; I had no idea where he was going. Finally he began to slow down at the next exit and got off the free way. I felt relieved because I thought it was all over. As we approached the signal light I felt safe because our house was near, and I thought nothing could go wrong. Sanal and I were in the turning lane, waiting for the signal to turn green when bam! A Saturn Outlook smashed into the rear bumper of my brother’s car, as if the driver had no regard for our lives. I didn’t remember what really happened after that because I blacked out for about a good minute. If Sanal didn’t have his foot on the brakes we would have probably been in the middle of on coming traffic. On that day my brother and I learned a valuable lesson, that it is better to be late than to be dead from speeding. He also learned that he shouldn’t drive so fast because he could be just like the guy in the other car.