Tyler - Missouri City, Texas

I was born and raised a normal Christian. I was baptized as an infant, rarely missed a Sunday and prayed at every meal. I like to think God is watching over all of us, that he is all knowing. But, about five years ago, I was really struggling with my faith and deeply questioning my beliefs. My favorite uncle had recently discovered he had a cancerous tumor in his abdomen and I was incredibly confused as to why God would do this to me and my family. Of course God knew exactly what he was doing, as he always does.

My Uncle Paul lives in Dallas with pretty much the rest of my family, both Mom and Dad’s side, so we got the bad news over the phone. It hit our family hard and, being Christian, naturally we turned to our church family for prayers. My uncle was on too many prayer lists to count. There were emails, posted lists and old fashioned word of mouth. I don’t think I had ever seen anything prayed for so hard in my whole eleven years. As the days went on, with so many people praying, my confidence that he’d be okay was shooting through the roof. I just knew God wouldn’t take him when he saw how much we all needed him; then came call number two. His invasive surgery was scheduled for the following week to look for any spread of the cancerous cells. We hopped on a plane to Dallas the next day to be with my Aunt Susu, who was rightfully scared out of her mind. We all prayed together there as well but, his condition only worsened. I was furious at God and demanded to know how he could be so heartless! Of course God knew what he was doing; he always does.

The days leading up to the surgery came and went and before we knew it the whole gang was piled in my Aunt’s trailblazer headed to the hospital. We arrived and were allowed a short visit with my uncle before the nurse put him to sleep. The next few hours were a blur. I can’t say for sure how long we waited, but it felt like an eternity. Even though I was angry with God I never stopped praying the whole time I was there. I was in the middle of prayer number one million when I glanced up to see the doctor heading our way. I threw in prayer number one million and one for good measure and then sat up straight impatiently awaiting the news. What came out of his mouth could only be the work of God. He told us they found the tumor completely surrounded by scar tissue that was protecting his organs, no cancer cells had been able to escape. They easily removed the tumor, along with the tissue, and he was now cancer free. Relief washed over the room and there wasn’t a dry eye to be seen. Of course God knew what he was doing; he always does.

I know for a fact every single cell in the tissue surrounding my uncle’s tumor was a prayer, God’s way of showing me He is watching over all of us. So, I believe in miracles with all my heart. Why? Because I saw one with my own two eyes and sometimes believing is seeing. Of course God knew what he was doing, he always does.