Live your life the way that makes you happy

Cassandra - boardman, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that you should cherish the time with the people you love. Life is short and we need to utilize the time we have on earth. We can not hold back, we have to live the way that makes us happy. After loosing my grandma at the age of 62, I realized how important it is not to take your life and your loved ones for granted.

For the eleven years that my Grandma lived with me, I never appreciated how truly lucky I was to have somebody so important in my life living with me. My Grandma Elaine was my mother’s mother. She was a very pretty woman with light hair and green eyes; she was very tall and skinny. She was also smart, loving, patient, and generous. She had 9 grandchildren she absolutely adored. Loosing my Grandma was the hardest loss I have ever gone through. She was sick for a long time. She battled Lupus, chronic Pneumonias, and Congestive Heart Failure. She was hospitalized on Thanksgiving day 2002, She never came home. She was admitted into the hospital for pneumonia, but her health yo-yoed for the next three months. She bounced from “she’ll be home in a few days” to being in ICU for weeks at a time. In the beginning of January things started to go steadily down hill. She was in ICU for two weeks before she died. I remember the day she died so clearly. My dad picked my brothers and me up from school and told us that Grandma was very sick and we had to go visit her in the hospital. When we arrived at the hospital my entire family was gathered around her bed. My stomach dropped, I was so scared for her. We felt helpless as we watched her struggle for every breath she took. She could not talk but she knew we were there and that we loved her so much. That night my brothers and I slept at my aunt and uncle’s house with my cousins. Around 1:40 am everybody woke up and their 2 dogs started to bark crazily. I felt like somebody was in the room with us. I firmly believe that my Grandma came to say Good-bye to her grandchildren before she left forever. The next morning we woke up and had a feeling of peace. We knew Grandma wasn’t suffering anymore. Watching my Grandma who was once so full of life, struggle and feel so sick made me realize how precious every single day is. I thank God everyday for my family and I cherish the time I have with them. I know that at the drop of a hat they can be taken away from me.