life is what you make it

Jenna - Troy, Michigan

This I believe: life is what you make it, and I have the ability to make my life extraordinary. Not that I’m going to invent something amazing to change society or find a cure for life threatening disease, but I can live my life doing the things I love with the people I care for. Society staples labels on the forehead of people, and the pressure to be perfect breaks people’s spirit. I am happiest when I am true to myself, and I am also a better person because of it. When I am true to myself it is easier to be kind, charitable, motivated and in general positive. I know that life will not always go smoothly and that I will have to deal with heartache and adversity; but when it does come, I know that if I am true to myself I can face anything.

When I was six my grandfather died very quickly from cancer. What I remember of him is that he always looked like he loved what he was doing and where he was at. I didn’t want to be him so much as I wanted to feel the same way he felt. He wasn’t nice and sugary sweet. He was always trying to shake things up and that’s what he loved, and that’s what I loved about him. He also was proud of serving his country. My grandfather did the things that made him happy and the things he consider honorable. I always thought that his ability to make life extraordinary, and live each moment to the fullest was exciting and I wanted to do that too.

Sometimes the pressures of life make me worry over things I can’t control. It is difficult for me to make the right choices and sometimes I don’t. But, when I take a deep breath and act on what I know is right and what makes my true heart happy, I do good things. I’m truly happy when I follow what my heart believes. The best life I could imagine is one where my spirit is free, I’m not afraid to take chances, experience new things, do what’s right, and surround myself with people who I love. I am only 15 years old, and I’m living an extraordinary life.