Samantha - Bethesda, Maryland
Themes: humanism, race

I believe in the strong capabilities of the human race. I believe that instead of focusing on individual races, the world would be in a much better place, if everyone focused on our common humanity. I believe people are born completely unbiased to race but then grow up in a society where one of the first noticeable things about a person is their race. Differentiating people by color of their skin creates stereotypes. This means that many of us make assumptions about others and this interferes with us getting to know one another. If a person of one race is rude to a person of another race, it’s pretty normal to assume they were racist. I think that because individual race is a main focus, people assume too easily that racism is a cause of rudeness, and the result is that anger arises. Racial stereotypes even cause countries to split, just like during the time of slavery in the United States. The white American people felt superior to the black slaves leading to racial conflicts and terrible abuse.

The Civil War in the United States was based on slavery- – the epitome of racism. Racism began even before the slaves were brought to the United States. Blacks were taken from their homes, brought to a foreign place and were treated like animals. Once here, there was constant anger, paralyzing fear and tension within the country. Slaves were being abused by their masters and living a miserable depressing life all because of their race and the learned inferiority to the white people. There was a strong tension between the southern white and black people, which divided the country. It took too many years for someone to step up and try to unify the country. It took years for people to hear Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and begin the end of segregation and discrimination. There was so much learned hatred and it was hard to relieve people from their anger. Race, today, still remains an issue and tension and anger still simmers across the country.

I believe that individuals should want to take pride in being human and work to better life for humanity. There would be no need for interracial hatred. Countries could focus more on bettering the lives of the world’s people. Imagine how much power would be behind the world as a single unit. Money could go towards feeding the less fortunate rather than going towards military action. People living in poverty could have the whole world supporting them and their lives could be saved from a living hell.

No matter what color skin somebody has or what religion they follow, they are still a human. Every human has feelings, fears, troubles and emotions. If the world decided to gain pride in just being one human race and focus on our similarities, there would be less hate and violence.